Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Book Review: Everlost by Neal Shusterman

Title: Everlost
Author: Neal Shusterman
Publication Date: August 2006
Genre: Young Adult
Age: 12+
Pages: 320
Series: 1st in the Skinjacker trilogy (2nd book Everwild due Nov 2009)
Publisher's website: Simon & Schuster Childern's Publishing
Author's website: www.storyman.com
Book Acquisition: NH Public Libraries Downloadable Audio Books

IT BEGINS WITH AN ACCIDENT.

Nick and Allie don't survive the crash, and now their souls are stuck halfway between life and death in a sort of limbo called Everlost. It's a magical yet dangerous place, where bands of lost souls run wild and anyone who stands in the same spot too long sinks to the center of the Earth.
Frightened and determined, Nick and Allie aren't ready to rest in peace just yet. They want their lives back, and their search for a way home will take them deep into the uncharted areas of Everlost. But the longer they stay, the more they forget about their pasts. And if all memory of home is lost, they may never escape this strange, terrible world.
(publisher's website)

I really really really liked this book! The world of Everlost is a fascinating place. What I loved most about it was it's sense of order. There are rules in Everlost and those that discover these rules either use their knowledge for their own purposes or use it to help others. Even though these lost souls are only children, they must still find their way.

I also really liked the characters. Each one is different and unique. Each one has their own story.
What I didn't expect was how moving this story was. Each character we meet is a dead soul, lost on his or her way. Where were they heading? We don't know, but being stuck in Everlost takes it's toll on everyone. Among these challenges, friendships are made. People who might have never been friends while alive, find themselves working together, helping each other in this strange scary land.

Everything ties itself together in the end BUT there is still so much more of this story to tell! I'm so happy it's a trilogy. I actually couldn't wait and went out and bought the second book, Everwild, this week - hehe.

5 out of 5 stars.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too and was very excited to see the next book come out. I didn't completely realize that it was a trilogy. Can't wait to read this new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds intriguing and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)