Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mini Review: Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn


Title: Summers at Castle Auburn
Author: Sharon Shinn
Publication Date: 2001

Coriel, the illegitimate daughter of a high-ranking aristocrat, spends most of her life learning herbal medicine from her grandmother, but she spends her summers with her half-sister, Elisandra, at the royal castle where Prince Byran resides.
Corie has always been secretly in love with Byran, but she is slowly realizing that he is a spoiled, selfish, dangerous man - and that Elisandra dreads her upcoming marriage to the prince.
Corie hopes tht the prince's cousin Kent will save Elisandra, while she wonders if the taciturn guard Roderick might play a bigger part of her own life.

(from author's website)

Named to the ALA list of Best Books for Young Adults

Sharon Shinn is one of my favorite authors and this book is one that I find myself reading at least once a year. It's a simple story really, with realalistic characters set against a fantasy setting. There is some romance involved but it's not over done. The characters are very likable. Especially Elisandra. She's such a strong young woman and I find myself admiring her every time I read this book.

Summers at Castle Auburn is very much a feel good type of book for me. It always makes me smile :)

If you have never read anything by Sharon Shinn, I would recommend this book. She writes both YA and Adult fantasies and I adore them all.

**In my Mimi Reviews I explore older, sometimes obscure books I have found in my travels and wish to share with my reader**

3 comments:

  1. I recently read and reviewed Gateway by her. I loved it so much I want to pick up more of her work. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by her but this book sounds lovely. I'll have to hunt it down myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I know this post is super old but just wanted to say this one's on my favorites shelf as well, along with The Truth-Teller's Tale and Archangel :)

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)