Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, February 19, 2010

Flashback Friday Review: The Gratitude of Kings by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Flashback Friday is a feature were I'll review a book that I read as a teen, reread now years later :)

Title: The Gratitude of Kings
Author: Marion Zimmer Bradley
Publication Date: December 1997
Originally Read: early 1998

Lythande, a centuries-old magician with a secret, is summoned to the wedding of an old friend. But from the moment she arrives, deadly court intrigue ensues, sounding a warning of danger deep in her soul. And with the future of the kingdom at stake, she finds she must rely on a very different kind of magic than her own, one born of a friendship and faith stronger than any sorcery....

I was in college when I first read this book. I have a very distinct memory of sitting in my boyfriend's dorm room. It was his book and I loved MZB so I borrowed it. It's actually a short story - only about 100 pages or so.

I will always remember this book and it's for a pretty silly reason. Soon after reading this book I set up my very first email account (ok - I think they gave me one in college but no one every used it so it doesn't count :) I can remember sitting at my friends computer staring at the "Welcome to Hotmail" screen. I couldn't for the life of me think of a user name. I finnally decided on eirthe@hotmail.com.
Eirthe is Lythande's very good friend - she's a candle maker whose best friends are fiery salamanders. I loved her character and I loved her name so I stole it :)

Other email addresses have come and gone but eirthe as remained. Granted, I don't use it that often and I'm pretty sure no one of importance sends me email here but still. It was my first and I'll keep it forever :)

As far as The Gratitude of Kings goes - it's a really good story. Like I said, it's short but this doesn't take away from the tale. It's pure fantasy with the all elements fans of MZB have come to expect. I really wish it were longer. I feel in love with the characters - especially Lythande and Eirthe.

I found this book at my local library this week and I'm so glad I did. Fantasy is my true love - in pretty much any form. This short story is a true gem and I plan on getting my own copy soon so I can read it whenever I want :)

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)