Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Short Stories Review: Love Is Hell

Love Is Hell
Melissa Marr, Scott Westerfeld, Justine Larbalestier, Gabrielle Zevin, Lauri Faria Stolarz
November 2008
HarperTeen

Sure, love is hell. But it's totally worth it.
In these supernatural stories by five of today's hottest writers—Melissa Marr (Wicked Lovely), Scott Westerfeld (Specials), Justine Larbalestier (Magic or Madness), Gabrielle Zevin (Elsewhere), and Laurie Faria Stolarz (Blue is for Nightmares)—love may be twisted and turned around, but it's more potent than ever on its quest to conquer all.
From two students who let the power of attraction guide them to break the hard-and-fast rules of their world to the girl who falls hard for a good-looking ghost with a score to settle, the clever, quirky characters in this exciting collection will break your heart, then leave you believing in love more than ever.
(from Goodreads)

Overall Rating: 5 / 5 Stars

Stories:
Laurie Faria Stolarz - Sleeping With the Spirit
A great story - what you would expect from Stolarz - a bit creepy, a bit mysterious.

Scott Westerfeld - Stupid Perfect World
This is the first I have read of Westerfeld and it left me very much wanting to read more! A futuristic tale where dreaming is a unknown. This is the story I would most like to see as a full length novel.

Justine LarbalestierThinner Than Water
My favorite! A true faery tale with a bitter sweet ending.

Gabrielle ZevinFan Fictions
If I had to pick a least favorite it would be this one. Least favorite only because it was unmemorable. Still very well written though, as everything by Zevin I have read has been.

Melissa MarrLove Struck
A perfect ending! Love might be hell but there is hope! A story of a legend I had never heard of - very like Marr - very well liked.

I very much enjoyed this book. Each author gave a unique and intriguing look at love. A perfect book for fans of each author, but I would also recommend this book to those who may not be acquainted with these talented writers.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I will definitely check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I've wondered about this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice book with that spooky factor. Will have to read this. Do check out the book review by us athttp://www.shortstorybook.net/2010/04/18/keep-off-the-grass-indian-author-book-review/

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)