Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Book Review: Haunted (Dreaming Anastasia #2) by Joy Preble

**Spoiler Free**
Publication Date: February 2011
Pages: 290
Series: 2nd in a series
Acquisition: received a copy for review

Summary:
Goodreads Link

My thoughts:
I was somewhat reluctant to pick up Haunted. After reading Dreaming Anastasia, I wasn't really sure that Anne's story needed more telling. Unfortunately, this feeling stayed with me through about a quarter of the book.  However, once I was fully immerged in the storyline, I was very happy that Anne's story wasn't over.

Book 1, Dreaming Anastasia, had a lot going on. Haunted has even more. The almost constant action helped move the plot along but the addition of Ben - point 3 in a frustrating love triangle - fell kind of flat for me. I guess I understand why he was added to the story, but at the same time, I didn't think his character really had anything to contribute. Also, I didn't really understand why Anne was so mad at Ethan. I didn't get that vibe from her at the end of Dreaming Anastasia so her hostility was a little confusing to me.

Final verdict:
Overall though? Haunted packed quite a punch. I thought I knew what was going on - and I was right - sort of. Lots of mystery to this tale. Lots of stories within stories. The part of me that craves intricate layered fantasy loved this aspect.

Pretty sure there will be more books in this series and I'm looking forward to it. I'm really interested in how much more of Anne's story we don't know.

I also really enjoyed Joy's writing. She's on my radar now and I'll defiantly be picking up her next work - whatever it may be :)

Overall Rating:
3.5 / 5 Stars

Books in the Series:
Dreaming Anastasia
Haunted

Linkage Love:
Sourcebooks
Author's Website

1 comment:

  1. I just finished DREAMING ANASTASIA and am about to start HAUNTED. The first book was like 3 stars for me, and I'm hoping I'll like the next one better.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)