Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, April 25, 2011

Book Review: Percival's Angel by Anne Eliot Crompton

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: March 1, 2011
Pages: 224
Series: no
Acquisition: received for review

Summary:
Lili, an apprentice of the Lady of the Lake, is the childhood friend of Percy, the boy who will become one of Arthur's greatest knights. But as they grow older, Lili begins to see their differences. She has otherworldly magic while he has the magic that lives within the Human Heart. Lili dreams of knowing human love while Percy dreams of finding the Holy Grail. Neither can succeed without the other.Once again Crompton weaves together nature, feminist perspective, and Arthurian legend for a tale that is sure to appeal to readers of all ages.(from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
A very strange read for me. Chapter one was utterly confusing - I had no idea who the characters were and it was really hard to even tell what they were talking (or thinking) about. Some improvement as the book continued but not a whole lot.

The switch between first and third person narrative, with the added sporadic internal thoughts made for a confusing read. I couldn't really warm up to the characters and it wasn't until about half way through the book that I felt like I had a firm grip on the plot.

Also, it was a bit more sexual then I thought it would be. Not gross or over the top but it's there.

But still, not a terrible read. If you're a big Arthurian legend fan, you might enjoy Percival's Angel. The main characters you would expect take a back seat to some quirky fey, human and magic folk. A big mix of things going on really.

Even with the issues I had, the writing itself was strong. I could tell the author had a firm grip on her characters and their actions, even if I didn't and I would defiantly pick up another book by Anne.

Overall Rating:
2.5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Sourcebooks
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. Waaahh..That sounds really frustrating since the book cover is totally stunning!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)