Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Book Review: The Sapphire Talisman (Talisman #2) by Brenda Pandos

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: December 2010
Publisher: Obsidian Mountain
Pages: 318
Series: 2nd in a trilogy
Acquisition: received for review

Summary:
With the local vampire coven decimated, Julia and Nicholas try to begin a somewhat normal life together. Bound by secrecy, Julia isn't allowed to tell Nicholas the leader survived. When Alora returns, bent on revenge, the reunion forces Nicholas and Julia to choose what they are willing to live and die for. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
Having read book 1, The Emerald Talisman, over a year ago, I had forgotten a lot of the characters and settings and unfortunately, this made it a little hard for me to really get into this one. I was a little lost and confused at the beginning, however, after a few chapters, details began to come back to me and I was able to enjoy the story more.

The Sapphire Talisman has a lot of pretty interesting characters, including one that I wasn't expecting and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. One character I did really enjoy was Scarlet. She has such a mysterious past and even though Julia can't stand her at times, I really liked her spunk.

The one thing that didn't work for me was the disconnection I felt with the Julia. I never really warmed up to her and a few of the things she did really didn't make any sense to me. Because of the 1st person POV, it was hard for me to stay interested in what was going on because I never formed an emotional bond to Julia.

Final verdict:
Overall, I didn't absolutely love The Sapphire Talisman but by the end I found that I was fully invested in the story. Less vampire action then in book 1 but more character development, which I liked. The romance or maybe I should say romances didn't always click with me but I'm actually on the fence as to how I want things to turn out for Julia, which doesn't happen often for me so I'm really excited for book 3!

Overall Rating:
3 / 5 Stars

Books in the Series:
#1 The Emerald Talisman
#2 The Sapphire Talisman
#3 The Onyx Talisman

Linkage Love:
Author's blog
Goodreads
IndieBound

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)