Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, February 25, 2013

Book Review: Emblaze by Jessica Shirvington

Emblaze (Embrace #3)
Jessica Shirvington
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication: March 19, 2013
Pages: 464
Format: ARC
Acquisition: received from the publisher

Synopsis:
Once again Violet Eden faces an impossible choice ... and the consequences are unimaginable.
Violet has come to terms with the fact that being part angel, part human, means her life will never be as it was.
Now Violet has something Phoenix - the exiled angel who betrayed her - will do anything for, and she has no intention of letting it fall into his hands. The only problem is that he has something she needs too.
Not afraid to raise the stakes, Phoenix seemingly holds all the power, always one step ahead. And when he puts the final pieces of the prophecy together, it doesn't take him long to realise exactly who he needs in order to open the gates of Hell.
With the help of surprising new allies, ancient prophecies are deciphered, a destination set and, after a shattering confrontation with her father, Violet leaves for the islands of Greece without knowing if she will have a home to return to...
(from Goodreads)

My Thoughts
Good and evil, heaven and hell, right and wrong - which side would you choose? For Violet this question is at the very center of her life. Everything revolves around what is right and good - what she must do and what is evil (or forbidden). She is one of the strongest female characters I have come across in a while in YA lit and I absolutely love her!

The tensions that started in Embrace and continued in Entice have built up to a breaking point. Violet and her friends are giving everything they have - and it might not be enough.

Fantasy and reality collide. Angels are real. Evil is real and Violet just might hold the key to it all.

A fantastic story!

Emblaze picks up pretty much were Entice left off and I'm chalking it up to Shirvington's phenomenal writing because unlike what happens most of the time for me when I pick up a book 3, I hadn't forgotten ANYTHING about Violet's world. Only a few pages into Emblaze and every detail from the previous 2 books were fresh in my mind. This is rare and it was awesome!

With slews of paranormal creatures to choose from in YA readings, I feel that angels can be overlooked. Shirvington has filled a void, for me at least. I love the world she has created and her characters feel like old friends.

This is truly one of my favorite series and it's one I can't recommend enough! If you like angels - you must read these books. If you're on the fence - pick up book 1 today and I promise you won't be disappointed.

Will I continue the series?
Yes oh yes! No word on when the US edition of book 4 will be out but it's already been released in the UK (title: Endless).

Rating
5 / 5 Stars

The Embrace Series
#1 Embrace
#2 Entice
#3 Emblaze
#4 Endless (UK release 2012)
#5 Untitled (?)


1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I loved it EMBLAZE too,actually I love all 3 books and can't wait for ENDLESS.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)