Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Book Review: The Devil and Winnie Flynn by Micol Ostow and David Ostow

Genre: YA Paranormal Mystery
Publication: October 2015 by Soho Teen
Acquisition: read a free eARC via Edelweiss

Synopsis:
Winnie Flynn doesn’t believe in ghosts. (Though she wouldn’t mind a visit from her mom, explaining why she took her own life.) When her mysterious aunt Maggie, a high-profile TV producer, recruits Winnie to spend a summer working as a production assistant on her current reality hit, Fantastic, Fearsome, she suddenly finds herself in the one place her mother would never go: New Jersey.

New Jersey’s famous Devil makes perfect fodder for Maggie’s show. But as the filming progresses, Winnie sees and hears things that make her think that the Devil might not be totally fake after all. Things that involve her and her family. Things about her mother’s death that might explain why she’s never met Aunt Maggie until now.

Winnie soon discovers her family’s history is deeply entwined with the Devil’s. If she’s going to make it out of the Pine Barrens alive, she might have to start believing in what her aunt is telling her. And, find out what she isn’t.
(from Goodreads)
3 / 5 Stars


Didn't love this one.

I never connected with Winnie. I didn't understand they way she thought at all which was surprising given the 1st person narrative. I guess the whole story was really a long letter to her best friend...but it didn't really work for me.

The actual mystery...or maybe there were 2? It was a little hard to keep track of and nothing really fit together.

I did like the idea of the story - skeptic young girl thrown into a paranormal lifestyle while trying to resolve her mother's death discovers more then she bargained for. But Winnie as a character? No idea what she was actually thinking (even when she says what she was thinking it was still kinda confusing). Oh - and don't get me started on her aunt and her famous reality show...who hires teenagers, amateurs and family members who don't believe in anything you do to run your show?

Lots of unbelievable bits that had nothing to do with the supernatural. Oh - and the supernatural part(s)? Way out there - and not really in a good way.

So yeah, not the best read for me.

It wasn't all a wash though.

I was draw into the story and even if I didn't feel connected to any of the characters, I still wanted to know what happened to them. I didn't like the ending but it kinda fit with the story...maybe?

This is for sure a 'not for me but maybe for you' book. I felt disconnected to it all but I think you might see things differently.

If you enjoy light ya paranormal stories with mild (actually believable) romance and weird family dynamics or if you're a fan of the Jersey Devil (because it plays a huge part in the story!) I would encourage you to give this one a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)