Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Book Review: Heir to the Sky by Amanda Sun

Genre: YA Futuristic Fantasy
Publication: April 2016 by Harlequin TEEN
Acquisition: received an ARC at ALA Midwinter 2016

Synopsis:
As heir to a kingdom of floating continents, Kali has spent her life bound by limits—by her duties as a member of the royal family, by a forced betrothal to the son of a nobleman, and by the edge of the only world she’s ever known—a small island hovering above a monster-ridden earth, long since uninhabited by humans. She is the Eternal Flame of Hope for what’s left of mankind, the wick and the wax burning in service for her people, and for their revered Phoenix, whose magic keeps them aloft.

When Kali falls off the edge of her kingdom and miraculously survives, she is shocked to discover there are still humans on the earth. Determined to get home, Kali entrusts a rugged monster-hunter named Griffin to guide her across a world overrun by chimera, storm dragons, basilisks, and other terrifying beasts. But the more time she spends on earth, the more dark truths she begins to uncover about her home in the sky, and the more resolute she is to start burning for herself.
(from Goodreads)
5 / 5 Stars

Heir to the Sky has a lot of things going for it -futuristic, fantasy, dystopian, mystery, romance without insta love or love triangles.

Any two of these qualities would do it for me, so, all of them together in one awesome package?! Fantastic!

I seriously enjoyed this book.

Lots of great imagery, and some fabulous character development. The setting was beyond awesome - and this was with me assuming I knew everything that was going on (I didn't).

If anything, I want to say that the ending was a little too rushed. Maybe? I could see the story being really drawn out over a 2 or 3 book series and I'm so so happy that isn't the case. So, yeah, maybe things came together a little too quickly at the end but I think it worked for the story.

Heir to the Sky is a book that stayed with me after finishing. I loved the floating continents and I loved how Kali pieces together the truth of her world.

A quick read for me that I think fans of many different genres would really enjoy. Nothing was overdone - the mystery and fantasy elements combine pretty perfectly with the futuristic, quasi dystopian setting.

Love it!


1 comment:



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)